MagSampler

These are "Reports from the Newsstand," my comments on the publications in our catalogue at MagSampler.com. We offer sample copies of our publications, not subscriptions. Each sample copy costs $2.59, well below newsstand cover prices (if the publication is available on your newsstand at all). A $2.00 shipping charge is added to each order. Publishers use MagSampler.com to get their publications into the hands of potential subscribers.

Name:

Ed Rust, proprietor of MagSampler.com, has worked in publishing in a variety of capacities for decades. He started as U.S. circulation director of the Financial Times "way back when they flew the papers into Kennedy Airport from London a day late." He most recently was managing editor of publications at the General Society, Sons of the Revolution.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

UN CHIN: Hot Contemporary Latin Culture


It's been a busy several days of publication debuts at the newsstand, and today it's the turn of Un Chín, a lush bimonthly with a distinctly Latin temperament. I can offer no definitive translation of the title, but some quick Internet research unearthed a page of slang from the Dominican Republic, including "When you only need a little amount of something, it is un chin and even smaller is un chin-chin." Whatever it means, New York-based Un Chín is filled with good-looking people, beautiful images and a caring, literate entry into what's best in contemporary Latin art and culture, with more than a touch of bling to make it all festive. The magazine's Web site reports "Un Chín's mission is to offer an alternative approach to documenting art, fashion, music, entertainment and current events" as well as "a unique perspective on the new mainstream―one that merges a Latin aesthetic and ingenuity with depth and style." We've received the new "Quixote issue" of Un Chín in the newsstand, named in honor of Miguel de Cervantes, whose novel Don Quixote was published 400 years ago. Windmills and other references to the immortal Spanish author and his fictional creation abound throughout the issue, beginning with editor-in-chief Ramon Veras-Breton's editorial, startlingly political in tone, who writes that current American foreign policy "evokes Cervantes' opening line as he refers to the town of La Mancha whose name he had no desire to recall. How dark a stain is our political agenda putting on our history?" But politics is pretty much forgotten as we journey through the 160-page issue, which introduces us to some of the hottest clubs in Manhattan, the pleasures of skiing in Chile, a bevy of the newest musical stars in Spain, Black Entertainment Television host Julissa Bermúdez and Los Angeles Lakers forward (and fledgling record-label executive) Lamar Odom. There's a feature on Teairra Mari, a new hip-hop artist, fantastically photographed by Pieter Henket, whose work you'll find throughout the issue, and another about "king of reggaeton" Tego Calderón. And pages and pages of beautiful people modeling beautiful clothes. It's a hot issue of a hot magazine. An annual subscription (six issues) to Un Chín is $20.00 from the publisher (and, believe it or not, with a sub they throw in a two-night hotel stay in Las Vegas, Miami, Dallas, Atlantic City or Puerto Vallarta, "no time share presentation or marketing gimmicks involved"). We can't compete with any of that, but for $2.59 we'll send you a sample copy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well this blog certainly is not about austin texas low cost health insurance. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching austin texas low cost health insurance and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from austin texas low cost health insurance anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching austin texas low cost health insurance.
Even though my search is not on UN CHIN: Hot Contemporary Latin Culture I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about amarillo texas low cost health insurance . Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on amarillo texas low cost health insurance and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Ed Rust and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home